Loving our Health Services Healthcare Workers
Loving our Health Services Healthcare Workers
by Pete Carter
27th January 2021
Recently we recorded a conversation between myself and Dr Lysa Owen, a hospital consultant and lecturer at a Medical School. In our chat before we started recording, Lysa said something to me which I found extremely encouraging and stimulating. Lysa had visited Eastgate for a weekend in 2019, and she said that one of the things that had impacted her the most was her experience that Eastgate is a church that has learnt how to love the NHS. I have had similar comments in the past from other healthcare workers who have been amongst us.
My conversation with Lysa was extremely helpful, encouraging and stimulating, and not simply to the world of healthcare but much more widely applicable. I would commend it to you, it is titled “Holistic care includes spiritual well being” and if you choose you can watch on the Heaven in Healthcare YouTube channel.
So first of all I want to commend and thank the Eastgate church family for loving healthcare and it’s workers so well, it shines out as light and brings wonderful encouragement to healthcare workers, helping to build them up, equip them, restore hopes, restore dreams, and help them to enrich their workplaces with the resources of heaven. It is in our DNA and we have a very specific calling as a church to fulfil. THANK YOU AND WELL DONE Eastgate. We have been faithful with the resources that have been entrusted to us, and now God wants to entrust us with more.
Even since Sunday 17th January when I preached at Eastgate, things have been developing at a rapid pace in terms of opportunities and requests to help support many people in healthcare, and also explain to other Christians how they can play a part in meeting this most urgent and huge need within our world. For example I have had a conversation with the Cinnamon Network who want to focus their efforts at the moment on “Supporting the NHS” , and very soon I will be speaking to a group of people who lead many different Christian ministries and organisations in the UK. GodTV are also keen to look at a new training series that Heaven in Healthcare and Eastgate studios are just about to release.
Eastgate already has much to offer in terms of resources: Heaven in Healthcare, Transformation Centre, Healing Centre are examples. (Website addresses and links at the end of this letter) However, we now need to urgently press on and increase our resources in order to play our part in meeting the need in this very dark and challenging time for our nation and the nations. Healthcare workers are struggling under extreme pressure.
With extra money we will be able to support and encourage many thousands of healthcare workers in may different ways through our existing and developing structures and connections. We will need to increase our capacity to produce such things as:
- More and more inspirational content including videos, conversations, testimonies and blogs.
- More training material for Healthcare workers.
- A “well-being” video series.
- Making these resources available to more people through the development of interactions with other organisations.
- The multiplication and support of Local Groups to provide “one another” support in a more personal way.
- The development and support of “Christian Workplace Groups” in healthcare settings through working in partnership with Transform Work UK.
- Increasing our social media output to enable greater connection, engagement and cohesion amongst healthcare workers, reducing any feelings of “being alone in the storm”, and make our resources more widely known.
- Increasing our online connection capacity in order to include people who do not have local support, and respond to their enquiries and requests.
- Increasing administrative support to help with communication particularly with new enquiries and production of new resources.
- Increased capacity in areas where we support people struggling under the pressures they are facing eg Counselling, Prayer support, Prophetic encouragement.
So together through a special offering we can help to make these things happen. It is a very specific way that Eastgate can love the world in a time of desperate need.
Detail of how to give are below plus a couple of Biblical exhortations.
Bank Transfer Details:
Sort Code 40-52-40
Reference: Offering + Your Name
Include your mobile number and giving amount.
We will reply with a personalised, secure link.
Via MyChurchSuite and MyGiving
2 Corinthians 8: 1
And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. 2 In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 3 For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord’s people. 5 And they exceeded our expectations.
2 Corinthians 9:7
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.